Jeremy White is a member of the Corporate/M&A Group in Baker McKenzie’s Tokyo office. He focuses on outbound and inbound Japan transactions and is recognized as a key individual by Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 where clients have noted his business-focused advice and experience working across cultures.
Legal journal assessments (including direct client quotes):
‘Jeremy White “is the single best lawyer I have worked with in 30 years of M&A experience,” enthuses one client, elaborating that “he is courteous, ruthless on behalf of the client in negotiations, very smart, a creative solution finder, and has pragmatic common sense.”‘[Chambers 2019]
‘…The best cross border transaction lawyer in Tokyo and all of my clients I introduced love him…’ [IFLR 2018]
‘…famed as a practitioner with a “client-first attitude” and a “really good critical thinker who understands the complexities of working across cultures…”’ [Chambers 2017]
‘…one of the top M&A lawyers in Tokyo for global projects…’ [Legal 500 2016]
Jeremy focuses on cross-border mergers, acquisitions, disposals, spin-outs and joint ventures. His practice also covers alliances between multinationals as well as greenfield corporate and venture investments.
Representative Clients, Cases or Matters
- Acted for a listed Japanese manufacturer in its 2018 acquisition of a robotics manufacturer in the US.
- Acted for a listed Japanese pharmaceuticals producer in its 2017 acquisitions in Canada and the US (auction sale).
- Acted for a listed Japanese corporation in its 2017 acquisition of a large fiberglass business in the US.
- Acted for a listed Japanese corporation in over 10 transactions across the Middle East, Asia, Europe and the Americas. All were share purchases in the tech sector with consequent joint venture arrangements.
- Acted for a Japanese trading house in a divestment, acquisition and two joint ventures across the Americas and Europe. All were transactions in the retail and manufacturing sectors.
- Acted for a Japanese trading house in its 2016 auction acquisition of a US coatings multinational. Private equity seller
- Acted for a Japanese trading house in two staggered acquisitions and joint ventures exceeding USD 1 billion. Both were transactions in the aluminium sector.
- Acted for a listed Japanese printing manufacturer in its 2015 acquisition of a pan-European manufacturer and its 2016 acquisition of a US multinational. Both deals were competitive auctions with private equity sellers.
- Acted for a foreign investment fund in three inbound acquisitions in multiple sectors.
- Acted for one of Japan’s biggest brewers in multiple transactions across the alcohol and non-alcohol sectors. These include the sale by auction of a major European subsidiary, the acquisition and buyout of a Japan-based joint venture, and collaborations with US soft drink and beer manufacturers.
- Acted for a top five pharmaceutical multinational in its joint venture with Japan’s second largest pharmaceutical company to establish Japan’s largest vaccine manufacturer. Also acted in various unrelated transactions, including Japanese Marketing Authorization transfer and long term exclusive distribution and manufacture arrangements.
- Acted for a top five European bank in its joint venture with a Japanese megabank to form Japan’s largest private wealth business. Also acted on three follow-up transactions.
- Acted for a listed Japanese copper producer in its acquisition and joint venture with a listed Canadian entity. Also assisted the client in two separate matters in Japan and Southeast Asia, respectively.
- Acted for a financial institution in the sale of its Singaporean subsidiary to a foreign bank. Also acted in the sale of the client’s Japanese captive auto retail lease and loan servicing business to an international auto manufacturer.
- Acted for a Japanese manufacturer in its acquisitions in Europe and the US in 2016.
- Acted for a US multinational in several matters relating to its Japanese joint venture.
- Represented an international airline in its joint venture with Japan’s second largest airline and largest trading house to establish a new low-cost airline.
- Advised a Thai auto parts manufacturer on the acquisition and simultaneous equity recapitalization of a large Japanese auto parts producer.
Publications, Presentations and Articles
Publications and articles
- Quoted, “Outbound M&A Trends,” Reuters, March 2012
- Quoted, “Analysis: Japan M&A,” Reuters, February 2011
- Co-Author, “Mechanisms to Rescue UK Financial Institutions,” New Business Law (Japan), October 2008
- Co-Presenter, “Forum on M&A and Post Merger Integration,” Aoyama Diamond Hall, Toyo Keizai magazine, October 2012
Foreign Registered Lawyer (gaikokuho jimu bengoshi)~Japan (2009)
England & Wales~United Kingdom (2001)
College of Law (1999)
Oxford University (1997)